Friends, in number- response

Friends can be defined as many things. When we think of the word "friend" we think first of a favored companion we enjoy to spend time with. Still, a friend could just be an acquaintance. I used to get confused between the two, but if you are indecisive of what to call them, why not just assume they are both?

It may not be important to have many friends, being the kind you'll arrange meetings, play around and call whenever something comes up, but it is important to have a lot of acquaintances, or as some might think, future relations.

To put a number on friends is as though you're putting a number on a person. I would rather not associate faces with numbers or positions. A friend is a friend and an acquaintance an acquaintance. Maybe the number of these "friends" don't mean anything because I would not take time to count up how many people have affected me in some way, shape or form.
My own definition of friend is loose, and from a young age I've been moving people in this category without any real idea why. Because of this, I don't consider anyone "kind of" a friend or a "good" friend. I enjoy some people's company more than others, and if they can appreciate my company as well, then we have a mutual connection, and it's just another section in the many friends. I cannot consider which of: many people considering me "kind of" a friend or one friend who thinks I'm a good friend because of this. I'm not biased on people in those sorts, so I don't even bother about what others place me in. In the end, we're still acquaintances, and hopefully we'll remember each other for some time to come.

Many people seem to have piles of friends while others have a select few. You may see smiles on certain people and see frowns on others, but the amount of friends don't relate to the facts. Depending on who the friends are and how you, as a person, cope with it, will determine how happy you are. Like people attract each other as well, so it's not surprising that if there were many gloomy people that decided to mingle, that they could become a large group but still not be as happy as a small knit group of friends. As well, it's best not to decide for yourself who other people consider friends, because that would be judging and you could be viewing a complete misunderstanding.

There are countless reasons why some people accumulate many friends. General interests could link them together, or some people just need the communications. A few people learn better by talking in groups, and some people can't even think about being by themselves. Some people are "social butterflies" and therefore many people seem attracted to their personality.

A few people exist that concentrate on one or two friends, and it's completely understandable. Sometimes it's hard for someone to gain trust in others, and when they do gain it, they don't wish to lose it, making them concentrate solely on keeping the already existing ties from severing. They might understand that most of the people they come in contact with in these early years of life will probably never see them after this brief encounter and feel that they should not worry about anyone that will depart and mean nothing to them several years into the future.

It's true a few of these individuals that tend to concentrate on a small group may like to be swarmed with several people asking for how there day is. Those people that wish for this just may not be able to obtain the relations they'd like. Maybe they can't communicate properly or they ruin everything they ever gain. Some of these people who are in close knit groups might actually think differently on what friends are and how they should be. Everyone has their right to their own opinions and what they do with it.

Just like all others, I have my own reasons as to why I think as I do about friends and friendships. I think the way I do because I feel like I have been betrayed by people I used to consider close friends, then I redefined friends into something that was near impossible for me to work with, and something that did not fit properly with how I related with people. I found it safer to place everyone as an acquaintance unless proven closer beyond that point, but things are always subject to change. I try to stay in a comfortable position with the way I deal with my friends because I'm afraid of being by myself, and I get claustrophobic when too many people or things are around me. I could attempt expanding on why this happens, but with every other person, my reasons probably branch off many circumstances; some that even I may not realize.

Comments

  1. I loved how thoroughly you explained your views on friendship. Excellent job!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Arguments vs. Discourse response

The sky is yours: book review