The Book Doctor is in- and his Perscriptions ROCK- A review on "The Story Cure"

"The Story Cure" is a fun read that anyone who likes writing stories should pick up and read at least once in their life. Dinty Moore is the professor you would have wanted to teach any creative writing class in the history of writing. The easy to understand nature of "The Story Cure" mixed with light humor and little work areas to help you with the troubles you're currently facing in your writing, whether it's the latest sci-fi hit or an autobiography - everyone can be helped.

I enjoy writing creatively in my spare time, but as a hobby they were made for my sister and me to enjoy, but with no real fleshing out or seeing if anyone else would want to pick up on them. "The Story Cure" helped me understand what to be looking for as I dive back into stories I considered finished and things I've yet to figure out.

Out of encouragement for you to go out and get this book, I'm going to leave out mentioning most of the helpful hints I learned about in reading this, but the one that resonated most with me went a little something like this:

There isn't just one singular action happening at any given time. If you're in a conversation with someone, time doesn't just stop. See what happens when you interrupt a kid playing video games. Do they put everything down to talk with you? No - they continue to play and if you're lucky they respond to you.
When you're writing up a story you have a vision in your head on what all of this means to you, but those same words that might resonate with you a certain way are different for someone else. You're trying to share a story to reflect the mind theater you have going on in your head on a page. Get elaborate when you need to be, and keep unimportant information at a minimum.

If you like quirky humorous yet helpful guides, I'd strongly recommend this book. The only thing I can recall enjoying to a similar extent is "The Naked Roommate" by Harlan Cohen that was great as an introductory point to things that might happen in college.



For more information
Author Bio

I received this book from Blogging for Books for this review.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Friends, in number- response

Arguments vs. Discourse response

The sky is yours: book review